Not included in the tour price: Beers and Appetizers at the Břevnov Monastery Brewery Restaurant Admission to the Strahov Monastery Library: CZK 80 per person Additional Beers and Appetizers at Strahov Brewery's Restaurant
“Bohemia is … the fountainhead … of most beer in the world,” says Garret Oliver, an award-winning brewmaster of the Brooklyn Brewery and the leading beer critic in America. “Czech beer is phenomenal” and “Czech beer standards are the best in the world. There’s simply nothing to compare, in terms of lagers,” says the New York Times food and drink writer Evan Rail. Czech lager is best fresh and it doesn’t come fresher drawn than right where it’s brewed and a few of Prague’s newly re-opened microbreweries, set in 18th century ambience, are resurrecting the thousand year old tradition of Brewing in Bohemia. This tour is designed for those who are interested in beer and don’t mind the Baroque as well as those who are interested in Baroque and don’t mind a beer. You will visit two of the oldest breweries in Prague guided by one of our Insight Prague's zymurgical authorities.
You will visit Břevnovský Klášterní Pivovar, a Monastery Brewery of the Black Monks, which is the oldest male monastery in Bohemia, founded in 993. The monastery’s church of St. Margaret, built (1708-1735) is one of the best architectural examples of the Czech Baroque.
Also on the itinerary of this tour is Strahov Monastery of The Royal Canonry of Premonstratensians, one of the oldest of this Order in the world. It was founded in 1143 and the first documentation of beer brewing comes from the beginning of the 14th century.
- The guides at Insight Cities are professors, doctoral students, historians, journalists, art critics and published authors
- We cater to visitors who want to enjoy spirited and informed presentations of the cultural and political histories of great cities
- Visit two of the Oldest Monasteries and Monastic Breweries in the Czech Republic
- Learn the 1000 year old history of Monastic Brewing with a Beer historian
- Enjoy tastings of famous and historic brews
- Explore fabulous examples of Czech Baroque Architecture
Czech Republic, Prague