Nowadays 100,000 square meters are devoted to works from the collection of Berlin State Museums, alongside pieces from the renowned collectors, Erich Marx and Friedrich Christian Flick. Besides large format works by the contemporary pioneers mentioned above Warhol, Twombly, Rauschenberg, Lichtenstein, Kiefer, the collection includes elaborate installations as well as filmic spaces by artists including Paul McCarthy, Jason Rhoades, Rodney Graham, Peter Fischli and David Weiss, and Stan Douglas.
The second half of walk moves to the contemporary painting collection, where we focus groundbreaking works by Gerhard Richter, Sigmar Polke, Georg Baselitz, as well as Neo Rauch and Daniel Richter. Strong visual contrasts and a simultaneous emphasis on the continuity of artistic developments will form the trademark of this double tour. By looking at art analytically, we aim to offer an comprehensive view of the famous individual art works, while building “bridges” between art movements and individual artists of different decades. For an intermission in our 3 hour experience, we can pause between collections for a well-deserved coffee break in the Sarah Wiener Café.
- The guides at Insight Cities are professors, doctoral students, historians, journalists, art critics and published authors
- We cater to visitors who want to enjoy spirited and informed presentations of the cultural and political histories of great cities
- This 3-hour walk introduces you to one of the most mesmerizing collections of modern art in a brilliant setting
- Hamburger Banhof is one of the last neoclassical railway stations left standing in Germany
- Besides large format art works by the contemporary pioneers, the collection includes elaborate installations and filmic pieces
- Looking analytically at the collection as a whole, we build “bridges” between art movements and individual artists
- Enjoy a coffee break with your historian guide in the famous Sarah Wiener Café
Admission to the Hamburger Bahnhof is not included in the tour price.
Individual – EUR 14.00; Students and seniors, EUR 7.00
Online shop – EUR 13.00; Students and seniors EUR 6.50