The task of designing the palace was originally assigned to Charles Cameron by Empress Elizabeth. Cameron was a Scottish born architect who had won the Empress’ favour with the work he did at Tsarskoye Selo. Construction began in 1782 but Cameron’s modest design and his penchant for the simplicity of Palladianism and the historical purity of the Adamesque style did not go down well with Pavel and his wife Maria Feodorovna so they encharged Cameron’s assistant, Vicenzo Brenna, with the task of extending the palace and creating a more regal and imposing palace. Brenna quickly became Pavel’s favourite architect and went on to make alterations to the palace at Gatchina, and the Mikhailovsky Castle in St. Petersburg. His great achievement, both there and at Pavlovsk, was to tame the future Tsar's eclectic tastes into an organic and harmonious architectural solution, which belies the fact that the building was originally conceived as a much smaller one and only expanded and embellished later on in the construction process.
Russia, Saint Petersburg